Friends of Bill Stephens is a campaign committee dedicated to electing Bill Stephens as 12th Ward Alderman in the City of St. Louis. We are seeking an enthusiastic, politically-minded individual for the position of Communications Intern.
As an intern, you’ll gain real life, hands-on experience in a St. Louis City campaign and help enact a new vision for residences. This opportunity is perfect for someone who is looking to jump into the political environment at a local level and begin to build their career.
This position will report to the Communications Director and be an integral member of the communications team. You’ll help faciliate the candidate’s interaction with the public and the media using a variety of traditional and new strategies.
- Conduct social listening, demographic research, and other needs to stay on top of current conversations
- Help plan, contribute, and post to the social media calendar and candidate accounts using Sprout Social
- Develop and update multiple media lists used for a variety of purposes throughout the campaign
- Draft, edit, and distribute media advisories, news releases, and story pitches
- Support fundraising, canvassing, and other public efforts of the campaign as needed
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate with at least a sophomore status or a graduate degree program
- Preferred major in PR, Communications, Marketing, Political Science, or Public Affairs
- Strong writing skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-starter who can produce great results with limited supervision
The internship is a part-time, unpaid position lasting for a minimum of 12 weeks and requiring between 10-15 hours per week. College credit is available and we are happy to ensure we comply with any program requirements. Given the current pandemic and restrictions, many of the weekly meetings we hold are online, and we ensure we follow the strictest guidelines set forth by St. Louis City if we need to meet in person.
How To Apply
To apply, email a resume, cover letter, and one writing sample (preferably a news release) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Communications Internship.”
We aim to respond to each applicant within 1-2 business days. Please check your spam folder for our emails if you haven’t received a response within this timeframe. We encourage you to follow-up with us after two days.